Sunday 30 June 2013

Quilt for June



I always put this quilt out on a bed in the summer. Its cream background and multititude of reproduction fabrics from the 19th century have a calming effect on someone (me) who is not overly fond of this time of the year.






The pattern is probably one of those geese-doing-something. Being of a nautical frame of mind, however, it makes me think of sails – many, many sails, out on a cool body of  water.

I loved making this quilt. Selecting the fabrics from my stash and stitching the blocks was like revisiting old friends. The outer thin border is of a two shaded bronze, and the backing is a soft shade of pumpkin with a subtle floral print. Neither of these are reproductions but are, rather, from the “inspired by” category.  Since they compliment the other fabrics beautifully, and I liked them both so much, I sneaked them in and I always explain their presence when others see the quilt.


This quilt was entirely hand-pieced and hand-quilted. It measures 61” square. The blocks are 11” square and the triangles are 3 ½” by 2 ¾ x 2 ¾” each.  The borders are finished in a knife-edge and the quilting is simply straight diagonal lines.

Apologies for the slightly wrinkled look of the quilt. It must have been a little pushed about in storage this past winter.


No comments: