Monday 30 June 2014

Quilt for June




I posted about the parent of this quilt a year ago today.  The prints are reproductions of 19th ones,  and is my early summer quilt, out on the bed now. This is the smaller, second version of it, made from scraps from the first quilt. The squares composed of two triangles are the same size as the ones on the larger quilt.

The edging and the backing prints (more “inspired by” than reproduction), do not appear on the original quilt. In spite of my best efforts to use just one of each print with the cream and brown light print, I not only duplicated one print but also, entirely without intention, put the two above and below one another.



As I wrote last year, The pattern is probably one of those geese-doing-something." Positioned this way, with the dark triangles on top, it does not make me think of sails as I do with the larger one, when the light blocks are on top.

As usual, this quilt was entirely hand-pieced and hand-quilted. It measures 20” long and 17” wide. The triangles are 3 ½” by 2 ¾ x 2 ¾” each.  The borders are finished in a knife-edge and the quilting is simply straight diagonal lines, crossing each dark/light combination square once.

No comments: