Friday 3 January 2014

Famous Knitters – Grace Coolidge



Grace Coolidge (January 3, 1879 – July 8, 1957)

















First Lady of the United States from 1923 to 1929 and an avid needlewoman, skilled in many techniques and known for her knitting.



There are many images of her in elegant clothing from different eras and a few ones of her knitting.



The magazine, Piecework, ran an article about her in the July/August 1999 issue. There was mention and photograph of a thread can which Mrs Coolidge gave a young girl as a gift.



I have the same thread can, given to me some years ago by a friend from New York along with a vintage mid-20th century collection of crochet and tatting threads. 



Mine came a little worse for wear but I love it.


I have no exact date for the thread can, which I had received before the article from 1999 was published. I will have to find out, if possible, exactly when Mrs. Coolidge gave one as a gift.

1 comment:

7-letter Deborah, never a Deb said...

I have that can too. It's one of my treasures. I'd love to know the date if you find it.