Sunday 29 December 2013

One Lovely Blog Award






For shame, for shame! I was granted this award in early April, which I thanked the nominator at that time in the Comments section of this blog but not here. I have felt guilty about this for months, so Thank You, Very, Very Much, Katie Jacobs, and please forgive the unconscionable time it took for me to do this post!  You were very kind to take notice of my blog and say such nice things. May I return the compliment, and encourage readers here to pop over to Katie’s site and take a look at the fantastic clothing (and bread) that she is making and read her posts – love and share the same opinions about underpinnings!


The guidelines for the award are thus:

1. Thank the person who nominated you.
2. Add the ‘One Lovely Blog Award’ image to your post.
3. Share seven things about you.
4. Pass the award on to seven nominees.
5. Include this set of rules.
6. Inform your nominees by posting a comment on their blogs.


Seven things about me.  Well, I did so for the last award (http://historyknits.blogspot.com/2010/02/award.html), so what can I add to that list?

  1. I have moved around a great deal during my life but I have always lived by water, mostly on coasts but also on two major rivers and that has become very, very important to me. I love the water, swimming in it, boating on it, and just sitting by it and gazing out.  I can’t imagine life without the sea, a lake or a river nearby, and I hope I will always have that.

  1. I was lucky to grow up near to major historic sites and come from a family that loves history. Our outings and holidays and much of my own free time was spent touring them and more historic sites so I thought that was what everyone did – always.

  1. I am mad about jigsaw puzzles – all kinds and shapes. I constantly have one or two in progress, and I keep them all so I have a stash of puzzles that is comparable to my yarn one.

  1. When I am not knitting reproduction items or contemporary clothing, I like to knit miniature objects for fun and gifts. Many of these are on my Ravelry project page (Knit1805)

  1. I do believe that exercise is essential in so many ways and vital to those of us who spend hours bent over knitting needles, stitching frames, sewing machines, etc. I try to remember to stand up and stretch every hour or so – Pilates (on the living room floor, for all love) and swimming are even better for us needleworkers.

  1. I tend to resist technological changes (my phone is ancient) although I do use technology, obviously, and benefit from it. Like many people reading this blog, I am sure, I have more books than space for them. Eighteen months ago, I was given a Kindle by a forward-thinking relative, and now I have almost eight hundred (free) books on it from the 17th, 18th, 19th and early 20th century on it – the treasures you can find! I have also added some contemporary books this year. I know the argument about handling the book itself, the paper, the covers, the scent (my professional life is all about old books) but I have been won over by the fact I can store and read, carry and SEARCH through so many books on that wonderful little device. As Jack Aubrey would say, “What a fascinating modern age we live in!”

Well, that is six things, and I really cannot think of anything else so I will nominate seven other bloggers next. This is very difficult as I am in utter awe of the magnificent garments and the information that I see on so many blogs and sites. When I think of all of the work (research, shopping, carding, spinning, weaving, sewing, knitting, needlework, leatherwork, millinery, etc., etc.) that goes on in the fields of reproduction, and is only seen or appreciated by a fraction of the world, it just knocks my hand knitted socks right off into another galaxy. Reading or even just skimming the blogs about reproductions is such a treat. There is phenomenal work being done by people, who, by and large, have other occupations and demands on their lives in the 21st century, and yet they produce such masterpieces from the skin out of other centuries. I will also say that I heartily recommend sampling the lists and sites found on the blogs as each one is likely to be “An invitation to endless wonder,” to quote Mrs. Frederic of Warehouse 13.

The blogs I have listed not only showcase marvellous workmanship but are also valuable for research, and have excellent photography (which is not always found here, I admit): 

Superbly detailed information and photographs about those underpinnings and absolutely stunning 18th century gowns and more!

What everyone needs to know about cosmetics in the 18th century – pros and cons, and safety issues. Love the painting of little Mlle. Liotard in her curling papers.

I want every gown, hat, you name it, that this talented lady makes! http://couturecourtesan.blogspot.com/

I do move out of the long 18th century from time to time so I love this blog which has so much about the first half of the 20th century. It is such fun to read!

Both modern and historical clothing – beautiful work!

An elegant and informative blog – you don’t need to know French to appreciate it!

Lots of variety and terrific pattern information.


Enjoy!


2 comments:

Sanna K said...

Thank you so much, both for the award and for the kind words, too! :)

Bruce Partington-Plans said...

Thank you for the award and I'm so glad you like my blog.