Thursday 31 January 2013

Quilt for January






As I have mentioned elsewhere on this blog, I make reproduction quilts and my palampore quilt has already been featured here: http://historyknits.blogspot.com/2012/04/knitted-petticoat-from-v.html as well as two tributes to Jane Austen here http://historyknits.blogspot.com/2011/12/birthday-quilt-for-jane-austen.html and here http://historyknits.blogspot.com/2010/12/happy-birthday-jane-austen.html

I not only enjoy making the quilts but also doing the research related to the materials, colours, pattern choices, and stories behind quilts and quilters, some of which also aides my work in reproduction knitting and stitchery.

This quilt, a squares on point, has reproduction prints from most of the 19th century. It is mostly made from samples that came in a monthly mailing club as well as supplements from my stash. The “filler” or  sashing material and the backing were purchased separately. The batting or wadding is a needlepunched cotton which is not only divine to quilt through but gives the quilt the flat-ish look of those of the past. The quilt has a traditional knife edge and measures 47” x 50”. Each square measures 2 ¼”.

I have made quite a few quilts in the squares on point  pattern as it is a quick one to piece, and its simplicity allows the prints to show off their beauty, diversity and colour. The pattern is often found on quilts from the 18th and 19th century.

All of my reproduction quilts are hand pieced and hand quilted.

2 comments:

Bethany Lynn said...

So beautiful! What a work of art. I wish my hand quilting looked that good!

One More Stitch said...

How very kind! Thank you.