Friday 12 June 2009

Worldwide Knit in Public Day (Weekend)!

Wensleydale knitters from The Costume of Yorkshire, 1814, illustrated by George Walker (1781-1856)

 This is one of my favourite images of knitting. I love the colours and the clothing (old and new styles of the time.) It also has sheep, and it dates from near the end of my era of speciality. The gentle, calm scene is, however, a contrast to the activity of the knitters who, are, no doubt, not engaged in a leisurely but rather, an economically necessary business. Spare a thought, then, this weekend for those who came before us and had to wield needles whereas we now mostly knit for the sake of pleasure and art.

3 comments:

Celia said...

I'm working that day. Pass by my desk and you're going to see me knitting...shhhh! Don't tell my boss.

One More Stitch said...

Good for you!

I knit on the banks of a river last year and this year it will be on an inlet of the sea even if it is raining!

Anonymous said...

I will let my knitting friends know...I will be working on a baby afghan in a coffee shop.